Saturday, January 2, 2010

Happy New Year!!

WNY snow season finally arrives!

This past Wednesday I knocked off a 5 miler on the treadmill. Sometimes it like torture to run on the treadmill.

New Year Eve and once again I was soft and did my 10 miler on the treadmill. Actually I had a lot of running around to do for New Year's day dinner.

New years day, Clyde, Bob, & Sheri set out and did a nice 13 miler on the Beast. The towpath surface can change instantly from hard, icy, soft, crusty, & rutty. So your running style may have to change as you encounter these different stretches.

Saturday the 2nd, I woke up and looked outside and said no way. Whiteouts, wind chills in the below zero and gusts over 30 mph. It looked like a treadmill day.
Sam texted me and said let's go. I met him at the zero marker layered up ready to go. I had my doubts about getting anymore than 10 miles in.

Off we went and once we got running everything felt normal. I wore my yak traxs and brought a full camel pack. As we headed east the weather seemed to get worse. The snow was deeper and the winds were making blizzard like conditions. The yak traxs were a must out there not to mention hoods, hats, extra gloves, and anything goretex. The turn around my camel back hose was frozen solid. I kept it enclosed in my jacket but the winds founds it. I tried weave it near my body but it never did thaw out. It looks like I'll need another fluid container. We finished with 16 miles but my legs felt more like a 20+.

I'm making Sam my official coach so I can have a realistic chance of getting my 1st 100.

1 comment:

  1. Don't let Roger fool you. This guy is a beast! He's got his training dialed in. Now, it's just about race day nutrition and the big mental game. Running from sunrise to sunset is difficult but, add running through the night in there and it becomes a mental challenge on top of the physical challenge. I wouldn't recommend The Beast of Burden Winter 100 Miler for anybody's first 100 but, if any first timer can do it...it's Big Rog!

    ReplyDelete