Sunday, December 27, 2009

62 days till!!

This week WNY has had quite the variety of weather. The beginning of the week we saw snow with winds, followed by pouring rain and just cold temps. We have actually lucked out with the end of December winding down and no major snow storms.

This Past Wednesday I hit the towpath with fellow Ultra runner Clyde Ferguson and knocked off a 25 mile loop of the Beast. We started off at 7 am and the weather wasn't to bad with a little snow and a breeze. Half way through the winds picked up and the snow started blowing making it very cold. The winds will be the trump card with this race because it gets like a wind tunnel on the canal. We started out feeling over dressed and finished feeling under dressed.

Christmas morning I met with Clyde, Bob and Sherri for a early morning run. They did 8 and I grabbed a 10 miler knowing the kids were waiting for me to open gifts.

Saturday morning I had planned on doing a loop plus a few more. It was raining out and in the mid 30's. I cranked up the treadmill and could only do 10 miles before it drove me crazy.

Today I hit the towpath at 6:45 am looking to knock off some big mileage. Everything was frosted or iced over so the towpath surface was almost perfect. The running surface is made up of crushed stone. It felt like a freshly rolled cinder track. I headed east to Medina NY where I found some great sight seeing. The canal opens up really wide where I don't think you could throw a stone across it. There is a nice walkway that takes you by this waterfalls feeding into a creek. It looked more like a river. I turned around at 12.5 miles and headed back. I was feeling great until I was 4 miles out and my energy started to fail. I need to take more fuel with me on long runs. My legs felt great but I just started to feel weak.

So that's my latest update and I got in 70 miles this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment