Saturday, December 12, 2009

Beast of Burden loop

Sam met me at the zero marker on the towpath.

I was originally planning to do the loop on Sunday but tomorrow's forecast is calling for freezing rain. The starting temps were in the low 30's with a light breeze and sunshine. It was tough to figure out how to dress. I thought at the start I had under dressed but 5 miles into the run I was pulling my hat off and down to one layer of gloves.

We reached the turn around and did a little exploring of Middleport. This is where a major aid station will be set up.There seems to be a couple of options Sam is working on. One has access to bathrooms and a tent set up outside. Second is using the Middleport fire hall which is my choice. The town has a couple of cafes, pizzeria and a bar. The volunteers and crews will have everything they need.

We did the turn around and headed back, at mile 15 I started to bonk. Cramps and fatique started to set in. I ate a mocha gel, drank some muscle milk, ate 3 advil and washed it all down with gatorade. 2 miles later I was back into the groove and I finished strong. This only proves how little I know about my running nutrition. I'll be playing around with this until I get it right.

I have 53 miles in and tomorrow I'll just do some wash out running and walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment